There are four reasons why you might choose to take a PIRP course:
- The Big One—You need to get some points off your driving record
- The Smart One—You’d like to save some money on insurance
- The “Have-to” One—A New York court says you gotta
- The Incredibly Rare One—You want to brush up your skills to become a better driver
Question is, how are you going to get it behind you? My kid brother is fond of saying that if you give the hardest job to the laziest man, he’ll find the easiest way to do it with the least amount of effort expended.
As with most anything else in our lives these days, the “easiest way” is to do it online. There are a few classroom courses still to be found, and classroom courses can be fun. However, if you fall into the category my brother speaks of, an internet course is probably the best option.
I do realize that if you have already Googled “New York PIRP course,” you probably choked at the number of options available. How do you know where to begin?
Here’s where we’d like to help you out. We’re going to discuss who can qualify for a NY PIRP course and take a quick look at the three New York providers that we think are the best. If after reading our reviews you don’t agree, we’ve also linked to a list of all the online NY PIRP schools we could find. Get ready to do some scrolling; there’s a bunch of them.
Who Can Take a NY PIRP Course?
A New York Point & Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP) course is open to any driver licensed by the NY DMV. There are two main reasons a driver might choose to take one, and they’re baked right into the name.
- Insurance Reduction—New York state law provides for a mandatory 10% reduction of base insurance premiums for any driver who successfully completes a course.
- Point Reduction—Successful completion of a PIRP course will result in the elimination of four points from the driver’s record.
For more information on the benefits of a PIRP course, take a look at the article below.
Breaking Down the Best. How Do You Choose?
New York’s Top Online PIRP Providers
With so many NY PIRP courses out there, what makes one better than another? We’re going to take a look at each company’s history, their unique advantages, and what their students say about their experience.
My Improv started in the driving business over 30 years ago and was founded in partnership with the World-Famous Improv Comedy Club. Written by professional Hollywood writers, they present a serious subject in a humorous and light-hearted way. As an added bonus, they will throw in four tickets to your nearest Improv Comedy Club if you choose their course.
- Advantages of MyImprov
- Short (as little as two-question) unit quizzes
- What students are saying—
- Foodie 8 says “The whole experience was way better than anticipated. The staff is amazing!”
- Eric S. says “These guys are great. My wife and I are repeat customers, at least 12 years now.”
- Moche S. says “What makes this defensive driving course great is that they use humor to make the material entertaining.”
iDriveSafely was one of the first online driver safety providers in the industry. They have served over 5,000,000 customers over their long history and have maintained a very good reputation. The school has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and a nearly 5-star rating on TrustPilot.
- Advantages of i Drive Safely
- Trusted by 5,000,000 customers
- Great ratings by customers, Trustpilot, and the BBB
- Works well on mobile devices.
- What students are saying—
- Chris says “It was great. The videos made sure I didn’t get bored with the material and kept me focused on learning.”
- Sonny J. says “Very helpful and informative. Easy to follow and understand. Well crafted and user-friendly..”
- Ralf says “Took the course that included videos. It was easy and printed out my certificate as soon as I was done.”
GoToTrafficSchool entered the driver safety industry in 1999. They have served over 4,000,000 satisfied customers since then, so they must be doing something right! Another unique offering is that they offer a money-back guarantee. If you are disappointed in their course in any way, you don’t pay, even if you get all the way to the final exam.
- Advantages of Go To Traffic School
- Animations and videos keep things moving
- Same day certificate processing
- Money-back guarantee
- What students are saying—
- Guillermo G. says “I really recommend this online driving school…”
- Saurabh G. says “The entire process is simple, with a nice interface!”
- Casey W. says “As blissful as traffic school can get.”
Need More Help Deciding?
Whether taking a PIRP course to save on insurance or to save your license, an online course is the easiest and most effective way to get it done. Why wait? The faster you get started, the faster you’ll have it behind you!
John FabelI have a long and checkered history with defensive driving. I took my first "court invited" course at age 15 and realized immediately that there had to be a better way. Since that first experience, I have gone on to teach defensive driving classroom courses and to author four internet courses in 2 states. After nearly 25 years in the industry, I can help you find a course that will be the best fit for you.
Defensive Driving in Waco
With over 135,000 residents, driving in Waco can be challenging. Get where you're going more safely with defensive driving.
Defensive Driving in Dallas
With over 1.3 million residents, driving in Dallas can be challenging. Defensive driving can make getting around Dallas safer for you and those around you.
Get Started! Texas Defensive Driving
If you need a Texas defensive driving course, check out how you can get going fast. After all, the faster you get started, the faster it'll be over!
Defensive Driving in San Antonio
With over 1.5 million residents, driving in San Antonio can be challenging. Get where you're going more safely with defensive driving.
REVIEW: Florida’s Top 5 Online Traffic Schools
With so many online traffic schools to choose from, can you be sure you're getting the best one? Let us give you a hand with our takes on the Top 5.
Defensive Driving in El Paso
With nearly 700,000 residents, driving in El Paso can be challenging. Keep yourself (and others) safe with defensive driving.